Gold! Gold! Gold!

This term in our class we have been learning about gold. As we all know gold is a rare and precious ore and its value is incredibly high. When gold was found in Ballarat, Victoria, there were many people from around the world who came to try their luck.The population of Victoria increased dramatically as more and more people flocked to the goldfields to make their fortune. Life on the goldfields was very difficult and miners had to put up with very difficult conditions. We also learnt about the Eureka Stockade. We learnt that back in the 1850’s miners who mined for gold were treated badly and that they had no right to vote. After the Eureka Stockade, miners were granted more rights, including the right to vote. Their leader Peter Lalor became a politician in the Victorian Parliament. We have also learnt to write in Copperplate handwriting. It took a lot of time and patience, but we were very happy with our final results. It has been a wonderful experience learning about gold. As part of our study of gold We will be going on camp to Sovereign Hill and whilst we are there we will be attending school. This will help us not only experience first hand life in the 1850’s but we will also become part of a living museum. We are looking forward to participating in all that this camp has to offer.
We have included some YouTube videos that outline some of the history which we have been learning about. We hope you enjoy them.
by Tracey, Julie and Joanna

THE EARLY AUSTRALIAN PROSPECTORS PART 1

THE EARLY AUSTRALIAN PROSPECTORS PART 1

EUREKA REBELLION

EUREKA STOCKADE

LIFE ON THE GOLDFIELDS 2

LIFE ON THE GOLDFIELDS 2

4 thoughts on “Gold! Gold! Gold!

1. I like the pictures you put up on your blog. The article was interesting to me. It was about the miners finding gold in the 1850’s, the miners living in hard conditions and our upcoming camp.

I went on the maths work web we did, I put my username and password but it did not work! So hard!

From Samantha

• Hi Samantha, I am so sorry your password didn’t work. I don’t quite understand why not, when everyone else’s worked today. We will try to get on tomorrow and see what’s going on. I know you were keen to do some maths work, so maybe you can have some extra time when we get it all sorted. I understand your frustration.